NVidia HDMI problem

With kernel 2.6.32 in Debian unstable I get no sound from the HDMI
output on my Asus M3N78-VM motherboard which has an NVidia 8200 (MCP78S)
IGP. Everything looks normal according to pavucontrol, alsamixergui,
aplay --list etc, but the TV stays silent. With kernel 2.6.31 or earlier
it works OK.

I've seen some people blaming it on the NVidia binary driver, but
in that case why does it work with older kernels? AIUI 2.6.32 uses the
drivers from alsa 1.0.21 whereas older kernels used an earlier version.

I get the same problem if I try to use kernel 2.6.30 without the NVidia
binary driver. Does the HDMI audio rely on something in the binary
driver to initialise it? Will it work with nouveau?