UA-25, only one program can access the device at a time?

I'm sure you get this all the time with various soundcards, but with my edirol UA-25 soundcard, it seems only program can access the soundcard at a time. I made this /etc/asound.conf to make the ua-25 the default soundcard:

pcm.!default {
  type hw card UA25
}

If an application that uses the card has started, any other applications I start cannot play sound through the card.

I have no OSS support, this is not an OSS issue.

Do I have to configure it to use dmix? I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't need to configure dmix anymore, it should work automatically, and if not a bug should be reported.

Thanks,

-Tony