Sound not working on ALC655, unstable/noise/distortions

Hi all,

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 on an Aopen Cube XC EY855 with an Intel 855GME chipset and an ALC655 onboard soundcard: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article236-page1.html

After booting the system, sometimes the sound does not work at all, then "aplay -l" states that there are no soundcards. Sometimes the soundcard is detected but there is only distorted noise when I play music, in other occasions at first the sound is working but after a while (about a couple of minutes, varying) suddenly starts to become interrupted / distorted. This typically happens when demanding high CPU-load while starting some other programs. The sound quality does not return to the "good" status but remains noisy and distorted even if the CPU-load returns to idle-load. All these observations happen without any changes to the system.

The same symptoms occur when using different Live-CDs (Ubuntu 8.10, Fedora 12), that's why I assume, that the issue lies somewhere in ALSA.

For further diagnosis I've uploaded the results of the "alsa-info.sh"-script: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=2887b4b53e696332ec7616fa746302cfb22fcd40

I really hope to get some help with this issue. I'm out of ideas... The only workaround to me would be to block the only PCI-Slot on the mainboard with a dedicated PCI-soundcard... I would really like to avoid that.

Thanks in advance,
max