playing sound hangs system total

Hello,

maybe is it not just ALSA problem, maybe kernel ?! problem.

I would like use second sound card (for VoIP telephony).
I have 4 old ISA sound cards - they all WORKS in Windows XP without problems.
At least I have tried orig. Creative SB AWE32 ISA.

But in Ubuntu 9.10 (kernel 2.6.31-17-generic, alsa 1.0.20) these all
cards hang the system when playing sound - I have to hard RESET it.

Just one card works only with OSS driver "sb" - and only that card do
no crash my system, also I thing, that could by ALSA problem.

Have someone any Idea ?
Maybe some kernel/alsa parameter ?

I have try to reserve IRQ/DMA in BIOS Setup, also select "BIOS safe"
settings, nothing helps ...

Thanks

--kapetr