Re: emu10k1 (Audigy, Rev. 03): No Sound using AC3 Passthrough and Wrong Channel-Routing

Christian Nolte wrote, on 2010-01-05 07:24:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Soundblaster Audigy (rev 03) card which I have connected via a
> coaxial S/PDIF to my AV Receiver. The stereo S/PDIF connection is
> working perfectly and I can hear sound and the receiver detects the
> digital Stereo PCM Stream correctly.
>
> However, if I try to playback a DVD using mplayer or xine with AC3
> passthrough enabled, the receiver does not detect the AC3 stream and
> does not switch to Dolby Digital 5.1 and no sound can be heard.
>
> Using iecset before starting xine to play the DVD it gives:
>
> [nolte@ravine ~]$ iecset -x
> AES0=0x04,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x02
>
> using iecset when xine is started in Passthrough mode, playing back the
> DVD gives:
>
> [nolte@ravine ~]$ iecset -x
> AES0=0x06,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x02
>
> So this seems to be correct to me. I also tried the Information on
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/DigitalOut
>
> to no avail. What strikes me as odd too is, that I can control the
> volume of the normal Stereo PCM output to my main front speakers using
> the Rear (or Surround) mixer channel using alsamixer. I believe a while
> ago this could be controlled correctly using the Front mixer channel.
>
> If someone could be of help, this would be great. Thanks in adance.

I have a similar card (SB Live! 5.1 SB 0220):

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=12d86a7f9c4674f2f00a9d3f745eca31bc528bc0

Nothing leapt out at me, but there limits on the bandwidth through
S/PDIF. I don't have any equipment that can use the S/PDIF output from
the Soundblaster though.

Arthur.