Microphone issue & misidentification on amd card

Hi. I have this sb600 chip

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 30c2
    Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    Memory at c8100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

as a soundcard in the HP 6715S laptop I have. 6715S is unlike any of the other 67xx laptops, being all amd/ati stuff. I can hear sound, and am not looking for Hi Fi. Problems
1. It identifies as an AD 1981 in alsamixer :-/
2. I can't get the microphone working for love or money. I eventually managed to stand it up in the version of vista  on the box, but that is booted every year or so to run something awkward, and I run away with PTSD. The hardware works - that's my point.

I imagine the two might be linked. Don't mind the "Hewlett Packard" the chip description, they just got  their name in the firmware.

I've exhausted my things to do, got all modules and instructions out of /etc/modprobe.d and more or less reach end of line here
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/hda-intel-not-playing-ball-777484/

hda-analyser crashes dramatically, so alsa-info.sh output attached

Any modprobe.d/  options would be helpful as sound is not my forte.