Re: auto upmix in .asoundrc

Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> 1) What do you think about 3 and 7 channel sources? Should they be
>> addressed more specific?
>
> A good question.  3 channels is already there, assuming 2.1 channels.
> I suppose it's OK, but would be there more popular configuration?

OK, for 2.1 it we could use the side speakers. So a copy of the function
for 3 to 51 is needed with additional code to copy front to side.

>> 2) In upmix_2_to_71 I had to decide how to copy front to side. I first
>> tried to use the delayed copy. It mangled the sound quality - not sure
>> why. So I used the simple copy. I think the best solution would be to
>> use about half the delay of the rear speakers. So maybe there should be
>> something like half_delayed_copy which uses mix->delay_ms / 2. ;-)
>
> Hm, the delay code might have some issues.  Unfortunately I have
> really little time for now for tracking this...  Would be appreciated
> if you can hunt more.

Yes. It seemed like there can only be one delay in every upmix function.
I can do some testing the next days.

But the real problem is that neither the delay copy is the right
solution nor the simple copy.

I'm not sure what's the reason for the front-to-rear delay, but as I
said I think the front-to-side delay should be about as half as long.