Re: auto upmix in .asoundrc

At Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:38:27 +0100,
Christopher Schramm wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Could you post a patch so that I can apply it to GIT tree?
>
> Sure. Please find attached. In addition to the changes described, I've
> changed an error message and extended the chlist.

Thanks.  Now committed to GIT tree.

> But there are two points to pay attention to:
>
> 1) What do you think about 3 and 7 channel sources? Should they be
> addressed more specific?

A good question.  3 channels is already there, assuming 2.1 channels.
I suppose it's OK, but would be there more popular configuration?

7 channels are not properly implemented because I'm not sure which
channel mapping is the popular one for it.

> 2) In upmix_2_to_71 I had to decide how to copy front to side. I first
> tried to use the delayed copy. It mangled the sound quality - not sure
> why. So I used the simple copy. I think the best solution would be to
> use about half the delay of the rear speakers. So maybe there should be
> something like half_delayed_copy which uses mix->delay_ms / 2. ;-)

Hm, the delay code might have some issues.  Unfortunately I have
really little time for now for tracking this...  Would be appreciated
if you can hunt more.

thanks,

Takashi