Re: No sound from X-Fi Xtreme Audio using ALSA version 1.0.20

I have realized a little more of what is going on with my system.
Please pardon my naive questions.

First, I found that pulseaudio does not recognize my sound card.  It
only sees the graphics card (which apparently provides audio output).
I guess that makes this a problem that is off-topic for this list.
The pulseaudio device chooser does not show the soundcard at all.

I also found that my card has been the subject of some recent
discussion in alsa-devel
(http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2009-October/022080.html).
 It seems that the card may be a poor choice even if I got pulseaudio
to recognize it.

I am willing to replace the card in order to solve this problem.
Audio is one of my top priorities for this computer.  I am going
through the sound card list at
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Alsa_Preferred_Soundcards.

If anyone happens to be doing some basic multitrack recording using
the combination of Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit, ALSA, jack, and Ardour I would
appreciate hearing what soundcard is working for you.

Thanks for your help.

Peter