Delta66 Xruns

My colleague Curtis and I have been wracking our brains for several
weeks trying to capture output from a Delta66 sound card, and to use
ices2 and icecast to support four internet radio streams.  We replaced
a failed computer on which the system had been running without error,
and have been unable to duplicate that performance on the new system.
The system uses 1 GB ram, a dual core P4 processor at 3.0 GHz, and runs
Debian testing with kernel 2.6.30, and alsa version 1.0.20.  I hope
someone can help us.

The Delta66 is configured to provide four monaural channels of 22050
Hz audio, each one feeding a separate instance of ices2, with all four
streams offered up by a single instance of icecast.  It all works as
we expect it to, except that unacceptable xrun errors occur, and the
dropping of samples renders the results very unsatisfactory.

We are volunteers with the Radio Reading Service of the Rockies, Curtis
is at the studios in Boulder, Colorado, and I consult with him remotely.
We both use Linux with console text mode applications that work well
with screen readers.

The ices2 and icecast combination work well, without xruns or dropped
samples, when the inputs are playlists, it's beautiful, no problems.
But when the four inputs are from capturing the Delta66 produced audio
sources, the xruns and dropouts appear.  They get worse as the number
of streams is increased from 1, to 2, to 3, etc., If anyone could take a
look at our sound card configuration files to help us spot the problem,
we would greatly appreciate it. They can be found at:

http://www.hallenbeck.ftml.net/asound.conf, definitions of four playback
and four capture devices.

http://www.hallenbeck.ftml.net/asound.state, the Delta66 (ice1712)
configuration file.

http://www.hallenbeck.ftml.net/mixersettings, output from amixer showing
simple mixer controls and their settings.

http://www.hallenbeck.ftml.net/ices-alsa.xml, interface from the streaming
software to the sound card, just in case.

We have about exhausted our ideas, and have not found much help googling,
or in the alsa documentation sources.  We really need someone's help here.
Any additional information can easily be generated and posted.

Thanks,

Chuck

                  My web site: www.hallenbeck.ftml.net
               Audio editor, weblog: edway.wordpress.com
                                --------

The secret of a happy marriage is to treat all disasters as incidents,
and none of the incidents as a disaster. -- Harold Nicolson