Re: HDMI sound output on hp 8530w laptop (nvidia quadro fx 770M)

Hello Luca.
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:47:34AM +0100, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> En/na Luca Olivetti ha escrit:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I found an old thread (past june) regarding audio output through hdmi
> > with this laptop but it went nowhere
> >
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.user/32958/
> >
> > I have the same problem (there's no nvidia hdmi audio output in "aplay
> > -L output").

Are you using the same laptop or a different one? I recently thought I had a
problem, until I did some more digging and found out that my NVidia GTX-280M
supports HDMI audio rather haphazardly, through an S/PDIF header on the
soundcard. I have not had the opportunity to test this as yet, but all the
output devices look good now, and it is probable that my tests via HDMI output
to a TV will succeed. If you have not already done so, have a look at
Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt. In my case, I had to pass
model=3stack-6ch-dig; it seems that my BIOS is too basic, to the point where it
doesn't properly report the specifications of the onboard audio hardware, hence
causing regular autoprobing to fail.

> > I'm currently running kernel 2.6.31 with alsa 1.0.20, and I also tried
> > 1.0.21 compiled out of tree.
> > Where do I have to look/patch to make hdmi sound output work?
>
> Anyone?
>
> I tried the probe_mask=0x1ff option but there's no change:
>
> $ dmesg | grep -i hda
> HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
> HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
> hda_intel: codec_mask forced to 0xff
> HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: setting latency timer to 64
> hda-intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode: last
> cmd=0x200f0000
> hda-intel: Codec #2 probe error; disabling it...
> hda-intel: Codec #3 probe error; disabling it...
>

> Bye
> --
> Luca

> --