been banging my head -- choppy sound, alsaconf

I finally broke down and decided to ask; sorry if this is old hat,
easily covered stuff that I should have found in one of my previous
google searches, but I'm nearing the throwing things phase.

I seem to have a weird sound setup on my machine.   I boot it up for
the first time, try to play a video/sound file and get very choppy,
dragging sound.

if I run alsaconf, choose the first card (intel8x0 intel corp
82801db/dbl/dbm (ich4/ich4-l/ich4-M) AC'97, as opposed to the other
device it seems to find... mpu401 snd-mpu401), run the config, save
and the sound seems to work fine.

then I reboot and I'm back to choppy sound.

does this sound vaguely familiar to anyone?  or even remotely sane?
it's kinda pushing me over the edge, and I can't seem to find anything
to fix it.

I'd hoped to effectively disable the device by blacklisting the
modules associated with the 401 device, but that seems to get me
nowhere.
blacklist snd_mpu401
blacklist snd_mpu401_uart
blacklist snd_cs4232
blacklist snd_rawmidi

any suggestions?

--
Even the Magic 8 ball has an opinion on email clients: Outlook not so good.