skype + alsa > mix 2 streams in+out / record skype podcast w music : custom .asoundrc attempts

Have found some terrific tips here. Thank you.

Could really use a guru thought on this as it's been a few days now of the endless reading and trying stuff as most of you know so well, as well! :-)

Having tried many things, though still fairly unskilled with linux sound, I'm now thinking that with simply skype 2.1 beta, and the latest alsa-lib and alsa-utils I can reach the objective without pulseaudio or jack or idjc (internet dj). I would of course happily use jack with alsa if it was manageable.

Objective: create/record audio podcast file (mp3, ogg, whatever) which needs to include music (heard by both caller and listener/receiver of call) and bi-directional speech (obviously), using skype (2.1 beta).

create  .asoundrc that allows:

1)  tapping into the mic input stream of skype (dmix/dsnoop?), and merge/mix the output of something like audacity (or use scripts?) so that music can be played and heard during a skype conversation. Hopefully both caller and the receiver/listener can hear the music stream being merged in.

2) Record the full bi-directional audio streams so that can become a podcast. ie. recording the full 'music with the conversation' stream.

Looking at this post here I was impressed by the community and the achievement.
mail-list post with .asoundrc and script to start recording:

http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg20262.html

I don't know if dmix/dsnoop can be or are ever visually 'cabled'?
OR if it is easier to use command line only for this rather than attempt to have programs like audacity record and/or play the music.

Is it way more problematical to use a recorder such as audacity to record the mixed (bi-directional) output of music and speech? And to play the music during the conversation? I guess it's the preferences in the GUI for the app (audacity) that would come into play.
I'm in the dark about this even having read much.

It may not be necessary to have a music player with a gui to start the playing of music.  yet, adding some compression/eq to the music during the real-time conversation seems like it might be needed. And an app like audacity gives a visual as well though I really do love most simplicity and command line/terminal. If dmix/dsnoop doesn't mind having the option for GUI or script would be the goal.
Right now anything would be more than terrific!

I have both my laptop's intel audio and a USB headset, though for simplicity I've currently the USB headset and hoping that skype plays well with using the audio and microphone in/out. I recall being amazed that skype seemed to work way better overall with USB headsets, though hopefully that won't be the case for this as USB may introduce some problems initially. I can add the hw:1 usb-audio later I guess. Right now it's feeling impossible for me.

So, with the removal of the hw:1 USB headset I'm left with the following.

cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_hda_intel

I'm hoping to remove as much as possible from my start-up modules initially as just need stereo. Currently my modules startup look like this:

snd-pcm snd snd-hda-codec snd-hda-intel soundcore !snd-usb-audio !snd-usb-lib !snd-pcm-oss !snd-pcsp

aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Amazingly interested to find out what' s best for this. Really hoping to get replies here so that light can turn on in my brain.
truly appreciated.

OVERVIEW:

- can skype with alsa send/receive music and speech so that the caller and the receiver of the call both hear music and speech?
loopback or dmix/dsnoop genius in .asoundrc ?

- can the combined output of all bi-directional sound/audio (music and speech) be recorded to a file? In real-time obviously.

- can this be done with audacity or similar for either or both for  the playing of music through skype while talking and/or the recording of the podcast of the live (with music) conversation. Or, should scripts be used for both/either the merging of music INTO the skype conversation and the recording or the complete audio/podcast bi-directional stream?

Realizing I've not been very economical above. DId my best so I won't remove the duplications of points. Thanks sincerely for thinking.