Problem recording from line-in

Please forgive me if this is covered in a faq. I looked for one and
didn't find it.

I'm running an small stand-alone server app called "websdr" by
Pieter-Tjerk de Boer in Holland, which accepts audio in quadrature on 2
channels  (for instance the line-in port  of the sound card).  The audio
comes from  (what else?) a sdr .... external software defined radio
hardware.  It serves the results as a live web page on the internet.
The client sees a waterfall display and hears the audio (typically from
ham bands) that is nicely filtered per the users selections from the
software defined radio connected to the server. The websdr author
requires that the server have the oss compatibility package or that the
server program be launched via aoss. I've got both and tried both but
can't get the audio from the sdr into the computer.  The server software
is  quite stable and is serving  sdr  audio to client web pages from
half a dozen or so radios around the world.

In fact I can't seem to get *any* audio into the computer! To try and
simplify things, I tried playing the headphone output from a cd player
into the line-in of the sound card using the small "sound recorder" app
that comes with ubuntu and that doesn't record. The sound card plays
back fine.

I'm running Ubuntu Jaunty with all updates. My (main) sound card is
Audigy4 (SB610). There is also a sound chipset on the mother board, but
Ubuntu evidently doesn't know it exists. I have the following sound
packages installed (I found these with synaptic using keywords "alsa"
and "oss":

libsd-alsa0
gnome-alsamixer
alsa-utils
alsa-oss
alsa-base
libasound2
libasound2-plugins
oss-compat
linux-sound-base
pulseaudio-utils
pulseaudio

I'd appreciate any advice that can help me get the line-in and oss
compatability working. I'd be pleased to run whatever diagnostics or
other programs you recommend. I'll be happy to provide any info on the
hardware or software environment I have, though I may need a bit of
prompting on how to find them. Or if there are some well organized web
resources you can suggest that might help I could try them too (I've
been disappointed, though,  so far with the audio diagnosis web pages
that I've found on my own so far) .

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Lenny Wintfeld
NJ, USA