Mic stops working after installation (ALC861)

Hi!

 I've got a very strange problem with a ALC861 soundchip on a friend's Toshiba A100-507 Laptop. Sound output and input work perfectly within a live session using the Ubuntu Jaunty and Karmic (Alpha6) CDs but immediately stops working after installing the system. Currently I've installed the latest Karmic containing kernel 2.6.31 and ALSA 1.0.20. I've attached the output of the alsa-info script as well as the output of 'pacmd list' for both systems (live and installed).

 Right after the installation the sound stopped working and I couldn't record anything. Alsamixer showed only output devices, no capture devices at all (everything has been correct within the live session). In 'dmesg' I found the following error messages:

[  279.924019] hda-intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode: last cmd=0x301f000a
[  280.928019] hda_intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to single_cmd mode: last cmd=0x301f000a

After doing some research I found this guide:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/docs/HD-Audio.html#_codec_probing_problem

And indeed, adding 'probe_mask=8' fixed the sound output and brought back the capture devices (remember that they were there within the live session without that option). I've also tried the 'model=toshiba' option (combined with
'probe_mask' and standalone) but that didn't help at all (no capture devices and no sound).

The current situation:

 I've already posted to the PulseAudio mailing ist and got some help from Mr. Colin Guthrie but we haven't found a solution (everything seems OK regarding PA). I still can't record anything within the installed system. I tried audacity, alsarec and the gnome-sound-recorder without luck. When recording in audacity, the timeline cursor doesn't move, it only flickers. In gnome-recorder, recording stops right after it has started and the application hangs on exit. PA's volume meter doesn't show anything either, it is empty. I compared the configurations on both systems but I see no differences that are not related to the 'probe_mask' option... I really believe that there is a solution because everything works in a live session. Can anybody help me with this?

Regards

JK