Re: Sound Card Configuration

John Beavers wrote:
> I tried that, that particular suggestion didn't work,

It assumes that you use the default dmix configuration for your
sound card.

> but I changed it to
>
> pcm.!default rear:Live  and
>
> pcm.!default front:Live
>
> which did work partially.  However, it broke sound in firefox.  It also
> messed up some flash programs.

The "front" and "rear" devices do not do sample rate conversion or
software mixing.

> Also, I was hoping to get the devices X session dependant.  I heard someone
> suggest chrooting each X session, copying the dev directory and linking
> /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp[x] (whatever number card you want for the given X
> session).

That suggestion is for programs using the OSS interface, but your
description above shows that Firefox and Flash use the ALSA interface,
so you should be able to get this to work with ALSA configuration files.

If you set an environment variable ALSA_DEVICE to 0 or 1 for each
session, the following definition in /etc/asound.conf should do what
you want:

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm {