mic input on conexant venice worked properly before, but not any more

Hello

I know that there are many issues regarding support for Conexant Venice
devices, such as controls being mixed up etc. My problem appears to be
slightly different in that something was usable once, but isn't any more.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad R61i with an 82801H audio chip. I have the same
problem as many other people with the internal mic being unavailable and
with having to select the internal mic to use the external mic. I can
live with that. What  I can't live with is the external mic input level
seemingly being set to permanently to maximum, so that the sound is very
badly clipped. None of the controls seem to affect this.

The strange thing is that it used to work OK. Or at least I was able to
use the external mic for VOIP. I *think* I was able to actually set the
level myself, but I suppose it might just have been possible that the
level was fixed to something acceptable and I didn't notice. In between
the thing working properly (or at least acceptably) and my finding that
it had ceased to do so a week or two later, nothing significant that I
am aware of had changed. I was using the same kernel (a hand-rolled
2.6.30-rc6) and I hadn't done any software updates (except for automated
security updates) on my (64 bit) Ubuntu Intrepid installation.

Has anyone any idea how to take the mic input level back down again?

Many thanks in advance
Robert

--
Robert Persson