Re: Status of support of (USB) 'Creative SB X-Fi Surround 5.1'?

Thanks for following up on this.

HoverHell <hoverhell <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Well, I get sound of it, pretty nice stereo quality. But for
> everything else...
> I had to use alsa's softvol since alsa driver gets no mixers from it.
> No luck as of yet getting volume handle or IR remote working (see
> thread in lirc-users regarding the IR).

I need a USB card for a home media system, and I don't care too much
about volume controls or the remote. This is not an issue for me.

> I didn't try actually using surround sound, so don't know about that.
> Although 5-channel output does work.

What's the difference between 5-channel and surround (apart from 5 vs. 6
channels)?

Which kernel version do you run?

> So, I wouldn't personally recommend getting this device since there
> probably are more linux-compatible and more cheap USB alternatives
> (non-Creative).

According to the graphs on hardware.info, the X-Fi's perform fairly
better than the ALSA-recommended TerraTec Aureon 5.1 USB MKII. So I'd
buy the former if possible. Do you have any other card to recommend for
this purpose? Price is not a matter as long as it's under $100. ;)

Thanks,
--
cc