HDMI audio slows slightly

This is a complex issue, so please bear with me.

Driver is 1.0.20. Output of aplay -L, -l and .asoundrc is attached. The
MB is ASUS P5N7A-VM that features an Nvidia GeForce 9300 that provides
HDMI. Nvidia drivers are up-to-date. OS is Fedora 10 kernel
2.6.27.12-170

I'm using mplayer to play recorded (via HD HomeRun) OTA MPEG2 files.
When I play these files using mplayer defaults (-ao alsa) recordings
from some channels play wih perfect sound syncronization, while with
those from other channels the sound leads the video by 15 to 30
seconds. This is a consistent result, and is not related to signal
strength, as far as I can tell.

When I changed the mplayer parameter to -ao alsa::device=plughw=0.3, in
effect forcing the output to go through HDMI, the sync problem is
resolved, so it's apparent that the problem I experienced does not
relate to alsa.

So what's the beef? There's one additional glitch, which I'm assuming
has something to do with my alsa config. After about 30 minutes of HDMI
playback the sound begins to lead the video ever so slightly -- by a
second or so, but increasing. Telling mplayer to back up 5 seconds and
then move forward by the same ammount removes the audio lead, but it
reappears.

So, my question. How can I determine why the audio is getting out of
sync? And how can I cure it?

Thanks.

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output
null

# ~/.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf
# ALSA configuration file

##### IMPORTANT #####
# To make this ALSA configuration file work with your sound card, you will need
# to define the appropriate card and device information for the "analog-hw" and
# "digital-hw" devices below.  You can find the card and device information
# using "aplay -l".

##### Configuration File #####

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
}

# Alias for analog output on the card
pcm.analog-hw {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 0
}

# Alias for digital (S/PDIF) output on the card
pcm.digital-hw {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 3