Re: Linux Recording AGC Using Sound Card Mic Volume Control

If you are already spending the money on a "good" microphone, I would recommend
budgeting in a hardware compressor limiter or limiting pre-amp (you can't plug a
mic directly into the PC anyway so the limiting pre-amp is probably cheaper)
instead of relying on a software application. This will prevent any clipping
before it hits the A/D converter and also allow you to raise the overall level of
the speech.

You're result will be superior to any software solution.

For you're purpose an "average" microphone will suffice and give you the rest of
the budgeet for a low-end compressor/limiter or even a basic pre-amp with a
limiting function will do the trick.. (such as the ones by Behringer or Presonus).

On Fri Jun 12  9:58 , "Steve Henke"  sent: