Linux Recording AGC Using Sound Card Mic Volume Control

Hello All,

I am searching for a simple Linux ALSA or whatever command line AGC Mic
Volume control utility. I want this utility to run ahead of the arecord
function and actually adjust the digital potentiometer in the sound card
hardware and not a post analog to digital conversion numeric solution.

The application is to place a good microphone on a podium and connect it
to a server and remotely record lectures. I want the AGC so that I can
pick up audio away from the podium yet turn down the input if someone
gets on top of the mic.

Thanks for anything that anyone comes up with.

Cheers,

Steve H.