Re: Do must Linux users just live without sound?

Daren Krive wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have found this discussion quite interesting and informative.  However
> (and I don’t mean to sound negative) but I am **really** hoping someone
> can help me out with my particular case:
>
> 1) Sound DOES work for the first few minutes after rebooting
> particularly if I have not run Linux for a while (either computer has
> been off or booted under Windows).
>
> 2) Support for my particular laptop (the LG S1) is mentioned
> specifically in the ALSA changelog way back in 1.0.12
>
> Is anyone able to help me with my particular case?  I have posted the
> output from the alsa-info.sh script here:
>
> http://www. <goog_1244726256041>alsa
> <goog_1244726256041>-project.org/db/?f=9e5b4548ded9b389661b0e669ecb5cd7364ff973
> <http://-project.org/db/?f=9e5b4548ded9b389661b0e669ecb5cd7364ff973>
>
> Please let me know what other information else might be needed as well
> as how I might be able to get that info (if I need to download a script,
> run a specific terminal command, etc).

 From the output of your shell script, the model being used for your
hda-intel Realtek ALC883 is called lg and is hard coded in the
configuration file.  I don't even see that in the possible models for an
ALC883 in the later version of the driver documentation I have.

Below are your possible model options.  I suggest you upgrade your
drivers to the version 1.0.20 that is the latest from your current
1.0.18.  Or go for the latest snapshot.  Then remove the hard coded lg
model from /etc/modprobe.conf and reboot.  The configuration should find
the correct model.  (Just removing the hard coded lg model might work
with your current alsa version)  If it doesn't, try these models until
one works.  If you've been following the discussion, you know that these
are just different configurations for the pins on the hda-intel device
you have.  Seems to be a lot of them for your device. :-)

ALC883/888
==========
   3stack-dig	3-jack with SPDIF I/O
   6stack-dig	6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O
   3stack-6ch    3-jack 6-channel
   3stack-6ch-dig 3-jack 6-channel with SPDIF I/O
   6stack-dig-demo  6-jack digital for Intel demo board
   acer		Acer laptops (Travelmate 3012WTMi, Aspire 5600, etc)
   acer-aspire	Acer Aspire 9810
   acer-aspire-4930g Acer Aspire 4930G
   medion	Medion Laptops
   medion-md2	Medion MD2
   targa-dig	Targa/MSI
   targa-2ch-dig	Targs/MSI with 2-channel
   laptop-eapd   3-jack with SPDIF I/O and EAPD (Clevo M540JE, M550JE)
   lenovo-101e	Lenovo 101E
   lenovo-nb0763	Lenovo NB0763
   lenovo-ms7195-dig Lenovo MS7195
   lenovo-sky	Lenovo Sky
   haier-w66	Haier W66
   3stack-hp	HP machines with 3stack (Lucknow, Samba boards)
   6stack-dell	Dell machines with 6stack (Inspiron 530)
   mitac		Mitac 8252D
   clevo-m720	Clevo M720 laptop series
   fujitsu-pi2515 Fujitsu AMILO Pi2515
   fujitsu-xa3530 Fujitsu AMILO XA3530
   3stack-6ch-intel Intel DG33* boards
   auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default)