Re: record vinyl at 24-bit 96khz

Yeah, I found that CNET article, but it doesn't tell me much about IC Ensemble. I'm in the valley, design analog, and never heard of them.

Here's the deal. When you make a chip, you publish specs. Now most of these companies that make chips for the PC business publish electricals for supply and interface, but well, the analog performance is just typical.

This is how Crystal (Cirrus) does a datasheet.
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS5381_F2.pdf
Wow, test data. Charts, graphs. Maybe it actually works.

You look at some of these sound cards, and they are essential specless. Griffin even admits this on the iMic.
<http://www.griffintechnology.com/articles/39-what-are-the-exact-technical-specifications-on-the-imic-mac-and-pc>

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496.html
Now we come to specmanship. THD really isn't as important as SINAD, but by definition it will be a better number since only harmonics are counted. So yeah, maybe you get 0.002%, but there could be non-harmonic spurs not counted in the measurement. An then at what frequency is this THD measured? Signal level? Now you measure the input dynamic range. Well dynamic range doesn't count distortion.

So it is a matter of degree. When someone says they are archiving LPs, I envision meticulous cleaning, moving coil pickup, etc, and the best data converter.

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
scar wrote:
i was basically just looking for verification that the m-audio 2496 card
would suit my needs.

Yes, it certainly would.

gary wrote:
I often wonder has VIA came out of nowhere with a DSP audio chip (Envy24). Oversampled ADCs are not exactly rocket science, but to make one with a product history of previous chips is suspicious.

VIA got the ICE1712 chip design when it took over IC Ensemble.  It then
develop a bunch of derived Envy24xxx chips from that.

Best regards,
Clemens