Re: Do must Linux users just live without sound?

I am all over the idea of getting a "Linux friendly" laptop the next time I go shopping.  So far I know enough to stay away from:

1) ATI video cards
2) Intel HDA sound

anything else I should be aware of?  I still want to get decent hardware.  Can someone recommend a laptop brand that typically has good support for Linux?  I do not want a clunker.  I like something reasonably "sexy" like my LG is (check out the pic)

http://ca.lge.com/en/products/catalog/MultiImageDisplay.jsp?categoryId=040210&modelCodeDisplay=S1-QP01A9&imageUrl=/en/down/product/040210/S1-QP01A9/S1_T1_Angle_LRG.jpg

Regards,

Daren

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Jamie Lokier <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Daren Krive wrote:

>    I do not mean to be negative but I am seriously wondering.  Do most
>    Linux users simply learn to live without sound?  Or live with sound
>    that does not operate as expected?  I have been searching for over a
>    year on how to get sound working on my LG QB01A9 notebook to no
>    avail.

I have two laptops running Linux over the years, and sound has varied
a lot as I upgraded and updated the distro.  It works with some kernel
versions, doesn't work with some kernel versions, with some of them it
works but the sound is distorted, and with some of them output works
but recording does not.

>    Every time I ask the question i get pointed to the same 6 URL's that
>    deal with getting Intel HDA working and then I hear nothing more.  I
>    have *tried* this and it doesn't work.  Please help me!!
>    I am really starting to wonder if getting sound to work is a pipe
>    dream :-(

Intel HDA seems to be particularly awkward.  It's the one I've had
most problems with - so many different behaviours with each kernel
version, as described above.

I understand that Intel HDA hardware is wired up in lots of different
ways in different laptops, unfortunately, so there needs to be some
special code for many laptops in addition to the HDA driver.

But that doesn't explain why new kernels every few months behave so
differently on my Intel HDA laptop.

Hopefully someone will produce laptops that use standard-ish USB sound
internally sometime, like they already do with Bluetooth, Wifi and
memory card readers.

Certainly I'll be testing my next laptop with distro CDs before buying
it, if the next one comes with Intel HDA.  In theory HDA is a good
idea but it's a mess in practice.

-- Jamie