Re: Do must Linux users just live without sound?

>From my experience (two different laptops) I've never have been able
to stablize the driver. I've always had a hitch or two.

My previous laptop everything worked by the headphones (required a
third party patch just to get working) and they only played in the left
ear (except when used through VLC.

My current laptop doesn't have a working microphone, nor does it
mute the speaker when playing. Maybe there needs to be plugins for
different hardware sets or seperate versions of the hda intel driver.

-Steven Hicks
 Graduate Student
 Department Of Computer Science
 University Of North Carolina at Charlotte

On Sunday 07 June 2009 21:18:16 Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Daren Krive wrote:
> >    I do not mean to be negative but I am seriously wondering.  Do
most
> >    Linux users simply learn to live without sound?  Or live with
sound
> >    that does not operate as expected?  I have been searching for
over a
> >    year on how to get sound working on my LG QB01A9 notebook
to no
> >    avail.
>
> I have two laptops running Linux over the years, and sound has
varied
> a lot as I upgraded and updated the distro.  It works with some
kernel
> versions, doesn't work with some kernel versions, with some of
them it
> works but the sound is distorted, and with some of them output
works
> but recording does not.
>
> >    Every time I ask the question i get pointed to the same 6 URL's
that
> >    deal with getting Intel HDA working and then I hear nothing
more.  I
> >    have *tried* this and it doesn't work.  Please help me!!
> >    I am really starting to wonder if getting sound to work is a pipe
> >    dream :-(
>
> Intel HDA seems to be particularly awkward.  It's the one I've had
> most problems with - so many different behaviours with each kernel
> version, as described above.
>
> I understand that Intel HDA hardware is wired up in lots of different
> ways in different laptops, unfortunately, so there needs to be some
> special code for many laptops in addition to the HDA driver.
>
> But that doesn't explain why new kernels every few months behave
so
> differently on my Intel HDA laptop.
>
> Hopefully someone will produce laptops that use standard-ish USB
sound
> internally sometime, like they already do with Bluetooth, Wifi and
> memory card readers.
>
> Certainly I'll be testing my next laptop with distro CDs before buying
> it, if the next one comes with Intel HDA.  In theory HDA is a good
> idea but it's a mess in practice.
>
> -- Jamie

>--- OpenSolaris 2009.06 is a cutting edge operating system for
enterprises
> looking to deploy the next generation of Solaris that includes the
latest
> innovations from Sun and the OpenSource community. Download a
copy and
> enjoy capabilities such as Networking, Storage and Virtualization.
Go to: