Re: Higher quality dmix resampling

>>> In mpd I specify oss instead of alsa.  If I specify alsa and involve
>>> dmix, I get static in mpd too.
>>
>> you say OSS... but was that the "real" oss (does it still exist for
>> modern kernels/hardware?!) or was it just the ALSA oss emulation?
>>
>> If it's the latter (as usually is on modern systems), then its just
>> the input interface that changes, you're goin' trough ALSA anyway.

Also, I should mention something that contradicts this.  When I define
a "format" for dmix in /etc/asound.conf that my DAC doesn't like, no
ALSA apps will play sound.  However, if I choose to output via OSS in
those apps, I get sound.  Here is an example of an asound.conf that
causes apps set to ALSA to not play sound at all, and apps set to OSS
to play sound perfectly as always:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm {