Re: Higher quality dmix resampling

On Thursday 14 May 2009, Grant wrote:

> I've tried S24_3LE, S24LE, S24_BE, S24_3BE, FLOAT_LE, and FLOAT_BE.
> None of them produce sound except for S24_3LE.  S16_LE works, but
> stills suffers from the static problem.  Is there another format I
> should try?

try the "U" (unsigned) ones... i.e. U16_LE, U24_3LE, etc.

> > BTW: what if you remove everything from asound.conf and just play to
> > "plughw:0,0" as per default?
>
> I did that by removing /etc/asound.conf and doing 'aplay file.wav',
> but it produces the same static problem.

that's strange!

So how come that you don't get 'em with mpd?!

what is it using for output?

> I really think dmix is not using the specified samplerate or speexrate.

again, I believe that your problem is completely unrelated to the
resampling algorithm used.

For the sake of curiosity I've tried them all and can guarantee you
that all of them produces quite acceptable results. IME *none* of the
ALSA resampling algorithms (not even the worst ones) ever produce any
"static" (or other obvious & nasty artifacts for that matter).

The perceived sound quality may be different - and indeed it is if
you have an audio system which is good enough to notice - but that's
all.

Your problem can NOT be due to a poor resampling algorithm: it must
be a plain BUG somewhere!

For the moment I urge you to forget about resampling algorithms and
seek for the real source of your problems instead.

Trying to keep things as simple as possible (that is, all defaults,
no resampling) to make debugging easier.

Only once you've got the default config to work properly you may start
experimenting with more sophisticated options.

Ciao,
                                Paolo.

--
Skype: Paolo.Saggese