Re: ALSAmixer with Creative Extigy Card -how to select it?

MG wrote, on 17/04/09 03:17:
> I can play mp3s throught my Extigy
> However the sound from web pages plays through the onboard sound
> Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that sound from browser-based applications is going through the
default sound card.

You appear to have 2 sound cards, the internal one and the SB Extigy:

card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel
82801DB-ICH4]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958
[Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - IEC958]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Extigy [Sound Blaster Extigy], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Extigy [Sound Blaster Extigy], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Extigy [Sound Blaster Extigy], device 2: USB Audio [USB Audio #2]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

If you want the SB Extigy to be the default card, you should force the
sound card built into the motherboard to be the second card.

If you type the command:

cat /proc/asound/modules

you will see which modules are at what index.

I'm assuming that you have something that looks like:

0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_usb

You will have to verify the exact names as I don't know what they are.

Then edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

and add the lines:

options snd_usb index=0
options snd_hda_intel index=1

substituting the name of the snd_* module for your Extigy on the index=0
line and the name of the snd_* module for your onboard sound on the
index=1 line.

If you have still saved the alsa-info.sh file from
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh , you can run it by typing:

sh alsa-info.sh

if you answer yes to uploading the file, take note of the URL given for
the file and post it in a reply here.

Let us know how you go.

Arthur.