Re: ALSAmixer with Creative Extigy Card -how to select it?

On Thursday 16 April 2009 19:28, MG wrote:
> Maybe I am not selecting it properly
> Can someone please give an example of how to select my card is it using :
> AlsaMixer v1.0.17
> Usage: alsamixer [-h] [-c <card: 0...7>] [-D <mixer device>] [-g] [-s] [-V
> <view>] [-a <abst>]
> or 'aplay'??????????????

Please stop top posting. Post your replies at the bottom of the previous
reply, trimming any irrevelant stuff at the same time, so as to save
bandwidth. And multiple question marks don't go down too well either, which
are like saying come on, come on, give me an answer.

Back to your problem now.

Post the output of the following commands.

cat /proc/asound/cards
lsmod | grep snd

The lsmod command may need to be changed depending on your distro. You may
have to call it as, /sbin/lsmod | grep snd

Now to alsamixer. I don't know which distro you are using. If it is a distro
that has pulseaudio installed, typing alsamixer will only show one control.

If that is the case open alsamixer as below, and this is if you have more than
one soundcard, which you appear to have.

alsamixer -D hw:0
That should show mixer controls for the onboard soundcard.

alsamixer -D hw:1
This may show mixer controls for the Extigy card.

The problem is that most audio apps when using playback, use the default card,
which would be the onboard soundcard (hw:0) , which is the default. If you
have your speakers plugged into the extigy card, it is probably no surprise
that you have no sound output.

Post back with the requested output above, and then we'll move on to resolving
your problem.

btw. which distro are you using?

Nigel.#