Asus M2NPV-VM (MCP51, AD1986A) finally mic working

Hi,

just wanted to know whether this is the normal procedure to get mic working
nowadays: Before I start, on my old old SB64PCI mic "just worked" with alsa. I
didn't have to do anything fancy.

So this is what I did with my onboard sound now: In alsamixer [Capture] is
activated on "Mic" *and* on "Capture", Volume is all the way up on "Capture".
*This alone does not help.* What I did now is to open mhwavedit an go to
recording mode and select a sample format. Now magically another control in
alsamixer appears in [Capture] with the name "Digital". If I crank this up,
finally I can record stuff from my mic and it also works in skype. I literally
spent *hours* to get this working because I didn't see the "Digital" control
and maybe also forgot to set Capure on *two* devices (Mic and Capture). May it
is logical to need to activate capture on these two devices, but as a "stupid"
user I find it not very intuitive. Any why the "Digital" control only appears
after trying to capture? Not very intuitive, as well...
I failed the last time I tried and put back my SB64PCI as a last resort. Why
is it so difficult to get mic working on this onboard HDA codec? Searching in
web, I can see a lot of people failed to get the mic working on this board.
Maybe my procedure also helps them...

Btw, I am using kernel 2.6.29 on a gentoo x86_86 system...

Regards,

Prakash