Re: snd: Unknown symbol/Distorted Sound

Arthur Marsh wrote:
> Philipp Reuters wrote, on 2009-03-16 02:09:
>
>> Hey folks,
>> I tried to get ALSA 1.0.19 up running on my 64bit Debian squeeze/sid
>> machine. So I fetched the linux-source-2.6.28 kernel sourcecode from the
>> Debian repositories, configured the soundcore as module and left out the
>> ALSA modules.
>> After compiling the kernel and installing the alsa-packages (for
>> alsa-driver I used the options: ./configure --with-sequencer=yes
>> --with-cards=ca0106), I had to experience that the drivers do not load.
>> It's this strange unknown symbol thing. The first errors occur in module
>> snd:
>> [ 6282.802606] snd: Unknown symbol unregister_sound_special
>> [ 6282.803075] snd: Unknown symbol register_sound_special_device
>> I was not able to get the card up running. Any ideas?
>> Hope for answer, greetz,
>> Phil
>>

> I've had some trouble lately with this and I'll give you the brute force
> answer that worked for me:
>
> installed and unpacked linux-source-2.6.28;
>
> I do
>
> cp /boot/config-2.6.28-1-686 /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.28/.config
>
> then
>
> make menuconfig
>
> for any customisations (I actually leave alsa in)
>
> installed and unpacked alsa-source 1.0.19;
>
> run
>
> dpkg-reconfigure alsa-source
>
> to pick which sound cards to compile
>
> NOTE: use alsa-base 1.0.17-dfsg-4 rather than 1.0.19.dfsg-1 which is broken;
>
> then ran
>
> make-kpkg --initrd linux-image modules-image
>
> then
>
> dpkg -i linux-image*.deb alsa-driver*.deb
>
> and rebooted, and selected the newly compiled kernel in grub.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Arthur.

Thanks for your hint. I fixed the problem by removing everything i could
find that had to do with alsa and then recompiling the kernel. So ALSA
does work now.
My next problem is, that the sound is really distorted on my
Soundblaster 5.1 VX (uses the CA0106-chip).
Due to the unavailability of a PCM-volume-channel in alsamixer, there is
no way to adjust the PCM volume which I suspect to be the reason for
this problem.
I tried to add this channel in .asoundrc and experienced something
strange: it does not matter, wether you slide the volume of this channel
up to 100% or just to 2%, the volume stays the same. Only if you mute
it, the whole sound output will be muted.
Can anybody perhaps help with this?

Regards,
Philipp