M-Audio FastTrack Pro External USB Soundcard

Hi,

I just bought an M-Audio FastTrack Pro USB sound card and when I plugged it in, it happily appeared in Ubuntu 8.10's "Sound Preferences"! The thing is, however, that it only appeared in the first three of four drop-downs labelled (in order): Sound Events, Music and Movies, Audio Conferencing (I can even hear sound when I click "test"). The last dropdown, and I think the most important one, is labelled "Default Mixer Tracks" and for some reason the card does not appear there. The end result being that applications like VLC still play through the onboard card, and the volume applet only interacts with the onboard card. The only thing that works, for some reason, is Rythmbox - audio plays through my new card using that program.

How is it that my new card is only partially recognized in "Sound Preferences"? Whats different about Rythmbox that allows it to use the new card? Does the fact that the card actually works partially mean it is supported, or is this exactlly the type of thing that happens when a card is not fully/officially supported?

Thanks!
Baz