Re: USB audio adapters

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, gary wrote:

> FWIW, I have two USB audio adapters that don't work under Suse 11.1. One
> is the Griffin Imic. Both work under windows.

Of course. The company writes drivers to make sure it works under windows.
Then they refuse to give the info to anyone to allow them to make it work
under Linux. Note that there are specs for usb sound. If the manufacturer
follows them, it works under Linux, windows, Mac,... If they do not follow
them well, it may work under some of the above. It may also have bugs in the
driver since it is only one small company writing the software ( by some poor
temp student who has never seen a USB line before, never mind a sound card).

> The other usb is device I got can be found on ebay if you do a search
> for "USB 6 Channel 5.1 PCI External Sound Card PC Laptop A14". This link
> might work
> http://tinyurl.com/b9sz9h
>
> This knockoff works pretty well. It is also easier to hack since you
> take off 4 screws and the PCB is "liberated", i.e. it slides out of the
> metal case. The Griffin Imic is kind of plasticty. Both are sold
> "specless", though the Chinese knock off uses a CMedia chip. If you
> really care, I can dig up the datasheet, which at least has specs on the
> chip.
>
> I got the Chinese knockoff based on testing done by someone on
> sci.engineering.design. It is relatively spur free, so some use it for
> data acquisition. You should realize though that most soundcards are not
> nearly 16 bits in quality, let alone 24 bits. It's all marketing. If you

Actually they can be. I am for example very impressed with the MAudio transit
( although not impressed with the Maudio openess)
I wrote a sound card testing program which looked at the distortion and noise,
and the level with this card is at the 16 bit level. Ie, it is maybe 3dB above
the noise and distortion one would expect if the sound card were actually
operating at the 16 bit level with no noise except digitization noise.

> could find a product with one of the Crystal Semicondutor chipsets, it
> would certainly be better. I was just using mine for communications
> signal processing, so the 80db that the Chinese knockoff achieves is
> fine, and actually a pretty good spec for a specless part.

16 bit is 96dB for digitization noise.