Volume setting issue

Hi, all:

   I installed alsa-lib, alsa-utils 1.0.19 on fedora 9 and try to use alsamixer/amixer to set the volume. Bug when I set capture volume to 10, reboot the machine and check the capture volume again, the value is 23 not 10.

   I found when I set volume < 23, the value that is stored in /etc/asound.state is 0, and after the rebooting and restoreing the settings, the volume value is 23.  Below lists the detaild info in /etc/asound.state.
   control.4 {
            comments.access 'read write'
            comments.type INTEGER
            comment.count 2
            comment.range '0 - 46'
            comment.dbmin
            comment.dbmax
            iface MIXER
            name 'Capture Volume'
            value.0 0
            value.1 0
   }

But when I set volume > 23, it can be saved and displayed correctly, although the number is not so accurate.
  Then is it a bug of alsa, or just by design? I have no idea when reading the docs about alsa. Any help will be appreciated. :)

Thanks.
-- vivian