Re: SPDIF/HDMI Pass Through: Only 2 channels?

SPDIF output is 2-channel PCM only.  To get 5.1 output you need to
send your receiver a passthrough AC3 or DTS stream, or enable Dolby
ProLogic II on your receiver to simulate the surround effect.

You won't get the system to send 6 channels of raw PCM via S/PDIF,
it's only capable of surround when a digitally encoded compressed
stream (AC3/DTS)  is passing through, due to bandwidth restrictions of
the optical signal.

That's what I've been led to believe on my own journey to get a
similar system working over here on an AD1986a.

Best of luck,
Steve