Re: ALSA, link static, cannot find -lasound

pavan_savoy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> There should have been an option to build alsa utilities statically.
> To check the speaker of a platform, I don't have to port the whole of alsa-lib + alsa-utilities on my small busybox file-system, do i ?

That argument doesn't hold up.   On my really, really tiny busybox
environment (this router I have here) busybox itself is dynamic -- it's
linked again uClibc.   You don't need all the utilities, you don't even
need all the plugins -- mostly what you want is libasound.so.  My router
here seems to have the bulk of the libraries that libasound links
against in its /lib.

> So an aplay or speaker-test would be really helpful in those situations.
> I tried too, to build it statically, but yes, dl_* calls doesn't allow it to be built statically.

I'm not claiming that this is a good idea, but you can do a semi-static
link and explicitly include -ldl.  Create a libasound.a that you link
against but leave everything else dynamic.   Although it's probably as
easy to put libasound.so in your small environment.   I would be
surprised if you saved that much space by linking statically, libasound
is pretty big and I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of it didn't
get pulled in by a static link.

jch