From: John Haxby <jch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: MrUmunhum@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:57:44 +0530 (IST)
Subject: Re:  ALSA, link static, cannot find -lasound

William Estrada wrote:
> hi group,
>
> Trying to rebuild my ALSA programs with static libs.
>
> [snip]
> but when I try with -static, I get this:
> Code:
>
> gcc  -g -O2 -static  -lasound -o volume volume.o
> /usr/local/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lasound

There isn't a libasound.a so far as I'm aware.    I would say that it's
unlikely that any distro would provide one since the alsa library
dynamically loads its various modules which rather defeats the object of
it being static.

To be honest, unless you have a really, really good case for a static
executable you should avoid them anyway.   At the moment, I can't think
of a sensible use-case for static ALSA programs, although I'm sure
someone could!

jch

My life has changed. What about yours?
Log on to the new Indiatimes Mail and Live out of the Inbox! http://mail.indiatimes.com