Re: Problem with snd-ens1371

Leslie Katz wrote:
> Thanks very much for replying so promptly, stan.
>

> !!Loaded ALSA modules
> !!-------------------
>

> !!Sound Servers on this system
> !!----------------------------
>
> Pulseaudio:
>      Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/pulseaudio)
>      Running - No
>
> ESound Daemon:
>      Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/esd)
>      Running - No
>

> !!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
> !!-----------------------------
>
> --- no soundcards ---
>

> !!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
> !!--------------------------------------
>
> 00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: NexGen Microsystems Unknown device
> 1371 (rev 02)
>

> !!Advanced information - PCI Vendor/Device/Susbsystem ID's
> !!--------------------------------------------------------
>
> 00:0d.0 0401: 1074:1371 (rev 02)
>    Subsystem: 1074:1371

Well, it doesn't look good.  It appears that your sound card is not recognized by alsa.  Hardware detection finds the
device, but doesn't recognize it (that is the NexGen Microsystems Unknown device message).  So it doesn't load a device
driver.

The Ensoniq 1371 has all kinds of references in the driver source, and in fact there is a module dedicated to it (and
its brethren) so it isn't like the card shouldn't be recognized.

So, what comes to mind for me is a bad connection, especially given the intermittent nature of your problem.  I suggest
you power off the computer and make sure the card is seated properly.  Reboot.  If that doesn't fix the problem, try a
different PCI slot.  It is possible there is a bad connection on the slot you are using.  Seems unlikely, but as the
science fiction writer Isaac Asimov used to say, 'If you eliminate all the other possibilities, the remaining one has to
be the issue'.  We hope.  ;-)

Using that same logic, if this doesn't work, I would suspect a problem with the card, a bad / cracked solder joint
somewhere.