Re: Problem with snd-ens1371

lesliek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm using Fedora 9.
>
> Yesterday, I installed a no-name PCI sound card. It had a place to plug
> in a cable from my DVD player. I plugged that in. A chip on the card
> said Ensoniq 1371.
>
> I ran aplay -l. I was told I had no soundcards.
>
> I ran lspci -v. I was told:
>
> 00:0d.0 multimedia audio controller: NexGen Microsystems Unknown device
> 1371 (rev 02)
>
> At the ALSA site, I found a reference to the modules needed for the
> ES1371. I modprobed them. aplay still denied I had any soundcard.
>
> I gave up for the day.
>
> This morning, I turned the computer on and ran aplay -l again.
>
> This time, I got:
>
> List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices
>
> card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 0: ES1371/1 [ES1371 DAC2/ADC]
> subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 1; ES1371/2 [ES1371 DAC1]
> subdevices 1/1
> Subdevice #0; subdevice #0
>
> However, I still couldn't get any sound. I unmuted everything in the
> mixer. That didn't help.
>
> I then rebooted. aplay -l then denied I had any soundcards and has
> continued to do so since, though I've rebooted a number of times.
>
> Fedora 9 doesn't come with alsaconf. I installed it and ran it. I
> selected the Ensoniq 1371 sound card and, when asked to choose numerical
> values, I chose 128 each time.
>
>  Then alsaconf tried to run start, but said it couldn't and that my card
> had probably been setected incorrectly.
>
> I'd be very grateful for any guidance, since it seems that the card was
> detected once.
>
> Thanks for reading this.

I think you probably have a pulseaudio issue.  You could try aplay -Dplughw:0  some.wav

If that doesn't work, go to the link below, download the script, and run it with the --no-upload option.  Then if that
doesn't enable you to figure out what is wrong by reading the output, reply with the output included in the email.  I
don't know your card so I can't say for sure what is wrong.

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh