Re: emu 0404 usb problems

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Only in PulseAudio?

Actually I'm able to use the card with mplayer (I discovered this just
now, previous tests failed or I was probably just clumsy):

mplayer -ao alsa:noblock:device=plughw=0.0

The sound is distorted though, probably 44.1 vs 48 khz thing. But that's
due to the unfihished driver IIRC. Nevertheless, my previous assumption
that no programs were able to use the alsa driver was wrong. Sorry.

> Please run PA with the environment variable LIBASOUND_DEBUG set to 1.
> Alsa-lib will then output some information about the error on
> stderr.

ALSA ERROR hw_params: set (FORMAT)
            value = S16_LE : Invalid argument

This is the error probably, I'm attaching complete std.err (std.out was
empty) from:

pulseaudio -vvvv 1> std.out 2> std.err

Also bear in mind that the internal nvidia sound card is installed too
and shows itself in the log.

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I do not think that this is a bug in alsa generally. The driver for
> the 0404 usb is not finished. I think that this is related to sample
> rate differences. The driver lets one send samples at any rate 44.1,
> 48 etc. The 0404 USB internally only works at a fixed but
> configurable rate via a vendor specific processing unit control. I.e.
> if the 0404 USB is internally set to 44.1 and one sends 48 to it
> things go wrong.

Well the driver worked out of the box with Fedora 8 and 9. Something
changed in F10. I know the driver is not finished, but it worked fine
for me. Even recording from the analog input.

Any chance you'll look at the emu usb drivers again and finish them?
Thanks again for having them at all.

I'll show this thread thread to Lennart Peottering from pulseaudio.
Hopefully he can weigh in.

Regards,

--

Aleksander Kamenik