emu 0404 usb problems

Hi,

Since the upgrade from Fedora 9 to Fedora 10, the EMU 0404 USB card does
not work any more. The alsa version changed form .17 to 19.

The card didn't even show up in pulseaudio, so I investigated it on the
pulseaudio list and Lennart Poettering came the conclusion that it's an
alsa issue.

The gist of the problem ass told by Lennart:

<quote>
Hmm, apparently the ALSA API function
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_near() fails in all cases. We ask for
the exact value of periods and it fails. We tell it to use a higher
number of periods than what we ask for and it fails. We then tell it
to use a lower number of periods than what we ask for and it fails
again. Whatever we do, it doesn't accept setting any periods.

We could tape over this: simply ignore that this fails and go
on. However this is certainly breakage in ALSA. So please file a bug
against ALSA and tell them that on your card
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_near() always fails. Then refer them to
the pa_alsa_set_hw_params() functions in PA.
</quote>

And

<quote>
Ah, that's interesting. Apparently your sound card does not support
integral number of periods.
</quote>

The pa_alsa_set_hw_params() functions can be found here:
http://pastebin.com/f6f7c9130

The full pulseaudio thread is here:
https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-discuss/2008-December/002691.html

and continues here:
https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-discuss/2009-January/002914.html

I haven't filed a bug report yet, I'd like to get some comments from the
alsa developers first. Also, under which project should this be filed?

Regards,

--

Aleksander Kamenik
System Administrator