Re: soundcard order changes on reboot

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 15:48, Guenther Meyer wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have a system with two soundcards (nvidia onboard, maudio 1010) running
> debian lenny.
>
> sometimes after a system reboot the order of the devices changes:
> one time nvidia is card 0 and maudio is card 1,
> another time nvidia is card 1 and maudio is card 0.
> that's not good, because all the routing could go to the wrong card,
> and adapting asound.conf every time is not really a good solution.
>
> so is there a way to fix the devices to specific numbers?

That sounds like udev doing it's usual trick of loading everything
simultaneously, resulting in it being anybodies guess in which order multiple
cards, whether sound, ethernet, video, etc, will be loaded.

The sound is easy to fix, by setting options lines
in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. Example below.

options snd-hda-intel index=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=1

Just change the driver names above to yours, and in which order you want them
to be loaded.

All the best.

Nigel.