4/5.1/7.1 audio on Realtek ALC880 possible through jack retasking?

Greetings,

I have been attempting to get 4 channel audio (specifically rear out) to
work on my Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 motherboard's onboard audio.  The
manual and online resources state that this chipset supports 4/5.1/7.1
channel audio through "jack retasking".  I haven't found many online
resources for whether or not this is supported in the snd_hda_intel
drivers in linux yet, so I figure I'd ask here.

According to my motherboard's documentation, this is possible in
windows.  I have found another online article stating this:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/555/page4.html

The windows drivers (of course) support the jack retasking function:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/555/page6.html

However, playing with all settings in alsamixer while running
speaker-test hasn't helped me to get rear speakers working through
either of the two front panel jacks.

Is this jack re-tasking supported in linux?

Thanks,
- Jim C.