Clicking sound on recording Realtek ALC888

I am having a problem.  I have a new computer that I am trying to use
to record radio.  However, when I record, there is an annoying loud
clicking sound at semi-random intervals (a.mp3 attached).  I used to
do this fine on my old computer with the same software.  I am running
gentoo.  I copied all of my files over and reconfigured and recompiled
the kernel to set up (I mention this in case there might be some
lingering configuration that's causing the problem).

I'm using integrated audio on ASRock A780GXE/128M which is the Realtek
ALC888 chipset.  I'm using snd-hda-intel.  I've tried with several
versions of the gentoo kernel (2.6.25, 2.6.27, and even ~x86
masked 2.6.28).

One weird thing is that if I record using krecord or audacity, there
is no clicking.  If I record using arecord or ecasound there is
clicking.  Depending on buffer settings the clicking can change some
(but that might just be random.. hard to say).

I've attached everything I can think of.

--
Dave McCloskey
davemccloskey@xxxxxxxxx