2 simultaneous logged in users problem

Hello. I am having some trouble with ALSA on an Intrepid Ibex install
that I hope someone can help me with.

First, a little info about my setup. btw, please tell me if you know of
an easier way to do this.

Most of the time my computer is hooked up to two monitors, which is my
work configuration. However, when I want to use my computer as a movie
player, I switch the second VGA output to my projector. I don't want to
restart my work X server when I switch over to the projector (different
xorg.conf file), so I run two X servers simultaneously and login as two
different users. Using a separate user for the projector has an added
advantage of using a different UI theme and different config files for
various movie players.

The issue is this. If I log in as 'valprj' and use sound for a bit, then
log in as 'val' on the other X server and try to use the digital output
on the card (spdif), I get this:

val@boss:$ alsaplayer -dspdif Prelude.wav
snd_pcm_open: Device or resource busy (spdif)

This error also happens when I switch back to valprj X server.

As soon as I log out one of the users, the sound starts working for the
other user. I checked for obvious stuff such as making sure that files
under /dev/snd/* are not being used by some process and they are not.

What could be locking the device?

Thank you,

Val