Re: Problems getting more than 2 channels on ALC861

L wrote, on 2009-01-04 19:13:
> Hello,
>
> Before I start spewing out system details, what I've tried and
> not, what's almost working and not, let me just say that my
> question basically boils down to this: does anyone here know how
> to enable 6-channel audio from an Asus M2V (VT1708/A [Azalia
> HDAC], ALC861) internal S/PDIF connector to a graphics card,
> which then sends an audio-video HDMI signal to a TV or receiver,
> and the sound is received as 6-channel on the TV/receiver end?

No, but read on...

the S/PDIF doesn't have the bandwidth to output 6 channels unless it is
encoded. The S/PDIF output of the sound card would need to send its
output encoded in a way that the graphics card would accept and pass
through to HDMI.

> If the answer is "forget about it, this will never work", a
> (rather obvious) follow-up question is: can anyone recommend a
> graphics card with built-in sound card, a motherboard, or a
> motherboard/graphics card combo that does work well under Linux,
> including 6-channel sound over HDMI? I very much prefer fanless
> graphics cards, by the way. And I'd prefer not having to rebuild
> everything, if possible I'd like to keep my current CPU, memory
> etc.

The ATI Radeon HD 4350 claim built-in sound and HDMI support and less
than 20 Watts power consumption and is apparently supported by the
proprietary AMD Linux Catalyst drivers but I have no idea about free
driver support of sound support under GNU/Linux.

(I run Debian unstable on a machine too slow for video with a fanless
Radeon 9200 and SoundBlaster Live!5.1 EMU10K1 sound card ).

I only came across this issue from some grumpy MS-Windows users in
Hewlett Packard's forums who couldn't play blu-ray dvds with surround
sound on their pc's with an external monitor/speaker set-up.

Hope this helps...

Arthur.