Re: Which repo is the best for a packager?

On 2008-12-21, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > Try a snapshot: http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/alsa/
> The alsa-driver tarballs in the URL above are generated from my
> sound.git tree.
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git

I still couldn't work out how to build the above so for now I'll
use your alsa-driver-snapshot tarball.

For alsa-utils, and the others, I am using...

 git clone git://git.alsa-project.org/alsa-utils.git

is this what ends up being at, for instance... ?

 http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/alsa/alsa-utils/alsa-utils-20081209.tar.gz

FWIW the main reason I use git/svn is the target source URL is
persistent so when building automatically on a daily or weekly
basis I do not have to manually edit the build scripts just to
change a trivial version number. As it turns out I can use the
alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz tarball because it has a persistent
URL to fetch with (I presume it's a softlink to the latest dated
tarball in the same directory). I can't do this for any of your
other tarballs, hence the need for me to use the GIT repos directly.

Another question, alsa-utils has instructions for also fetching...

 wget 'http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/config/config/config.guess'
 wget 'http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/config/config/config.sub'

which ends up requiring this manual intervention below. Is this
really still necessary with automake 1.10.2 and friends?

 Please run 'aclocal -I m4' to regenerate the aclocal.m4 file.
 You need aclocal from GNU automake 1.9 (or newer) to do this.
 Then run 'autoconf' to regenerate the configure file.

 You might also want to copy the convenience header file gettext.h
 from the /usr/share/gettext directory into your package.
 It is a wrapper around <libintl.h> that implements the configure --disable-nls
 option.

 Press Return to acknowledge the previous two paragraphs.

--markc