strange behavior with skype

I have recently had strange behavior show up with skype. I recently upgraded to Intrepid and finally have recording ability with my HD Intel sound card. (Grrrr) Previously I had to use a Turtle Beach Micro USB sound card to use programs like skype.

Now, I can record using the Sound Recorder program as well as Audacity and so forth. Seems to work fairly well. However, when I set up Skype the other day, I had to fiddle with the audio settings in order for it to make a call. But when I make a test call, my voice played back to me sounds low and weird, and starts to break up.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on, and how to check for the problem.

When I first bought this machine (over a year and a half ago now) I had no sound at all and learned a lot about alsa and sound cards, but I have had basic sound since 7.04, and good sound since Gutsy, just no recording. I had given up trying to get recording to work, and had purchased the USB sound card. However, now that my sound card seems to be better supported, I am interested in getting it working well, but have forgotten most of what I learned over a year ago.

Any help would be appreciated. I haven't tried it with other VoIP programs yet, but so far the sound distortion I am hearing seems to be only in Skype. Maybe this is a Skype issue primarily, but if any of you have any ideas, they would be deeply appreciated.

Matthew