Re: Question about 'Realtek ALC660-VD'

On Monday 08 December 2008 19:19, Mikael Larsson wrote:
> Hello,
> I have an 'ASUS A7U' laptop with a 'Realtek ALC660-VD' integrated
> soundcard. A few nights ago I upgraded my system from 'fedora 8' to
> 'fedora 10' and to make a long story short my system dosen't have
> working audio any more.
>
> The soundcard gets detected and sound seams to by playing but there is
> nothing coming out of either the headphones jack or from the built-in
> speakers. (Just as if the built-in amplifier was shout off or
> something...).
> Adjusting the levels of different sound-sources in alsamixer seam to
> work if I look at pulse-audio or jackd vu-meters, but still no sound
> seam to manage getting out. (Not even static.)
>
> I remember having the same problem with 'fedora 8', until I realized
> that my sound hardware only seamed to work with fedora kernels shipped
> with 'alsa-driver-1.0.15' and by adding 'options snd-hda-intel
> model=auto position_fix=1' to modprobe.conf
> So I tried to compile the old 1.0.15 version off the alsa-driver on
> 'fedora 10' but that seamed impossible (maybe just a fedora issue?) so I
> guess I'm sort off stuck here.
>
> My question is dos anyone knew a way to compile the 'alsa-driver-1.0.15'
> on 'fedora 10' with  'kernel-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64' or any other way
> off making the 'alsa-driver-1.0.18a' originally shipped with fedora work
> with my sound-hardware?
> Should I file a bug-report somewhere?
>
> Made some printouts off my system:
> $ /sbin/lspci -v | grep Audio -A1
> 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia
>  Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1339
> --
> 01:05.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon X1200 Series Audio
> Controller
>  Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon X1200 Series Audio Controller
>  Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 19
>

> $ grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
> /proc/asound/card0/codec#0:Codec: Realtek ALC660-VD
> /proc/asound/card0/codec#1:Codec: Generic 1543 Si3054
> /proc/asound/card1/codec#0:Codec: ATI ATI RS690/780 HDMI
>

> $aplay -l
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC660-VD Analog [ALC660-VD Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC660-VD Digital [ALC660-VD Digital]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Hi Mikael.

It may be worth disabling Pulseaudio temporarily as below.

yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

Your output from grepping the codecs shows 2 cards, which should be confirmed
by running, cat /proc/asound/cards , and I know that pulseaudio has some
problems with multiple cards.

BTW, I thought that the F10 install came with alsa driver version 1.0.17, not
1.0.18a, which is the latest release of the driver.

Of course you may just need to add the same options to /etc/modprobe.conf, as
you had for the F8 install.

I don't think you'll have any success in compiling the alsa driver 1.0.15
against a 2.6.27 kernel.See below for supported kernels for the 1.0.15 alsa
driver.

<quote from SUPPORTED_KERNELS file>
The alsa-drivers in this package are designed for the following kernels:

 - Vanilla 2.6.22 or earlier
 - Vanilla 2.4.31 or earlier
 - Vanilla 2.2.26 or earlier

It's not guaranteed that they work with any newer version than above
or modified kernels by distributors.
<end quote>

Perhaps you'd like to go to the link below, and save the script as
alsa-info.sh in your /home/user directory. Make it executable, then run it
as. ./alsa-info.sh
http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh

This script will upload info about your machine, and particularly the sounds.

Post back the link to the site where the data has been uploaded to.

Best wishes.

Nigel.