Re: Creating a "software speakerphone" in ALSA

On Sunday 07 December 2008, you wrote:

> > For info, my speakers are fed by a normal PCI soundcard (an Audigy)
> > through a hifi amplifier. The headset is a fairly generic USB model.
> > I'm on Ubuntu Hardy.
>
> Not sure what your system is. YOu do not tell us. Many soundcards have
> only one output-- the line out. Thus you can uplub the headphoens and pub
> in speakers. But if that is not your situation, you might want to tell
> us. For example your computer might be a laptop with an internal PC
> speaker On some there is a hardware switch inside which kills the pc
> speaker when the headphones are plugged in. Thus uplugging the headphones
> would do what you wanted.

Ok, more information (some of this is repeated from my text quoted bit
above).

The soundcard is a Soundblaster Audigy plugged into a PCI slot, identified
on lspic as:

00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)

The headset is a generic usb one (so it doesn't use the soundcard at all).
lsusb says:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter

running aplay -l
card 0: Audigy2 [Audigy 2 [SB0240]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC Capture/Standard
PCM Playback]
  Subdevices: 31/32
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
  Subdevice #8: subdevice #8
  Subdevice #9: subdevice #9
  Subdevice #10: subdevice #10
  Subdevice #11: subdevice #11
  Subdevice #12: subdevice #12
  Subdevice #13: subdevice #13
  Subdevice #14: subdevice #14
  Subdevice #15: subdevice #15
  Subdevice #16: subdevice #16
  Subdevice #17: subdevice #17
  Subdevice #18: subdevice #18
  Subdevice #19: subdevice #19
  Subdevice #20: subdevice #20
  Subdevice #21: subdevice #21
  Subdevice #22: subdevice #22
  Subdevice #23: subdevice #23
  Subdevice #24: subdevice #24
  Subdevice #25: subdevice #25
  Subdevice #26: subdevice #26
  Subdevice #27: subdevice #27
  Subdevice #28: subdevice #28
  Subdevice #29: subdevice #29
  Subdevice #30: subdevice #30
  Subdevice #31: subdevice #31
card 0: Audigy2 [Audigy 2 [SB0240]], device 2: emu10k1 efx [Multichannel
Capture/PT Playback]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: Audigy2 [Audigy 2 [SB0240]], device 3: emu10k1 [Multichannel
Playback]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Audigy2 [Audigy 2 [SB0240]], device 4: p16v [p16v]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: default [C-Media USB Headphone Set  ], device 0: USB Audio [USB
Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The OS is Ubuntu Hardy (8.04). Alsa version is 1.0.16-0ubuntu4

I'm not sure what other information would be helpful. If I've missed
anything off, please let me know.

I'm not so interested in a solution that requires plugging/unplugging
devices.

--
Jim